Re: Works on telnet but...

2005-02-18 09:32:32
Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:

Mitsuru Furukawa [had written],

 HOST=www385.XXXXXX.ne.jp

HOST is mostly a read-only envar. Your log doesn't
show the setting of HOST. Better disable that line.

It might be there in the old use of the HOST variable, now pretty much superseded by the availability of SWITCHRC.

Of course HOST is read-only, but when you try to assign a value to it, if the first nine characters match the existing value, procmail moves on along in the rcfile. If there is a mismatch in the first nine characters, procmail jumps to the next rcfile named on the command line when procmail was invoked. If there are no more rcfiles on the command line, procmail drops the message without delivery and exits.

Nowadays we invoke procmail with no named rcfiles on the command line, or with only one if we're using the -m option, so a mismatching HOST assignment finds no rcfiles left, and procmail drops the message. We advise people that unsetting HOST is the fastest way to lose an unwanted message, confident that they won't have any more rcfiles named on the command line and that unsetting HOST will have that effect.

Probably only the SmartList scripts and perhaps Misturu's code use HOST the old way. If we wanted to do that, most of us would probably not put the additional rcfiles onto the command line, but rather we'd code,

 :0
 * ! HOST ?? pattern
 { SWITCHRC = nextrcfile }