Re: Works on telnet but...

2005-02-18 20:45:20
David,

Thanks for your response.
Since I am not a native in English language
please let me clear your message by asking questions.

First, I am not trying to use HOST variable on permanet basis
but just added it after failed trials to see if the recipe is
running on the same environment with telnet case or not.

Now questions:

 Is this a valid way to check it?
 In other words, is message provide in procmail log to indicate in case
the recipe was tried to be processed on different host?

 Or should I still use SWITHRC for that checking purpose?

 Or are you saying the use of HOST varible is the very reason for the
failure?

Regards,
_/_/_/      Mitsuru FURUKAWA      _/_/_/
_/_/_/        Tokyo, Japan        _/_/_/
_/_/_/     mailto:furu(_at_)009(_dot_)com    _/_/_/

Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:

Mitsuru Furukawa [had written],

 HOST=www385.XXXXXX.ne.jp

HOST is mostly a read-only envar. Your log doesn't
show the setting of HOST. Better disable that line.

It might be there in the old use of the HOST variable, now pretty much
superseded by the availability of SWITCHRC.

Of course HOST is read-only, but when you try to assign a value to it,
if the first nine characters match the existing value, procmail moves on
along in the rcfile.  If there is a mismatch in the first nine
characters, procmail jumps to the next rcfile named on the command line
when procmail was invoked.  If there are no more rcfiles on the command
line, procmail drops the message without delivery and exits.

Nowadays we invoke procmail with no named rcfiles on the command line,
or with only one if we're using the -m option, so a mismatching HOST
assignment finds no rcfiles left, and procmail drops the message.  We
advise people that unsetting HOST is the fastest way to lose an unwanted
message, confident that they won't have any more rcfiles named on the
command line and that unsetting HOST will have that effect.

Probably only the SmartList scripts and perhaps Misturu's code use HOST
the old way.  If we wanted to do that, most of us would probably not put
the additional rcfiles onto the command line, but rather we'd code,

 :0
 * ! HOST ?? pattern
 { SWITCHRC = nextrcfile }