Re: Help with recipe using scoring

2005-02-24 12:51:03
At 12:13 2005-02-24 -0500, S.A. Birl wrote:
[snip]
procmail: Score: -95000000 -95000000 ""
procmail: Score: 10000000 -85000000 ""

As Ruud already pointed out, these quoted lines don't represent a delivery action.

The first numeric following the Score: is the modifier because of this rule, and the second number is the current running total, which above adds up correctly: you start at zero (not annotated), to which you add -95M, giving you a running total of -95M, then you add 10M, for a final total of -85M.

What happens with the message if it DOESN'T match the recipe (i.e. drops through to DEFAULT)? The material you quote only show what should happen if it DOES match. In fact, contrary to your statement that you want to FORWARD a notification to multiple parties, your ORGMAIL definition probably doesn't do that.

When you do go to set up a forward, don't forget to add appropriate loop header, and check for that on the received message - mail loops are ugly enough, but flooding other people because of a dumb mistake is annoying, esp. if you fill their mail quotas and cause them to lose other email.

I'd set the complete recipe up in a sandbox and throw test messages at it. Actually use a forward operator or $SENDMAIL to resend the message (if you use the sandbox I publish, the forwarded email will actually be processed by an external script and deposited into a file, not sent along to your MTA - this is a benefit because you work with a valid version of your recipe, not something which has been mangled so as to not actually perform a forward).

How can I correct this?

Start by confirming whether THIS recipe really is the one doing the delivery. It'd be easy to simply deliver to some OTHER mailbox file, rather than your INBOX - then if it delivers to your INBOX, you know it isn't this recipe (though a verbose logfile should easily tell you what is doing the delivery -- unless this is the very last recipe and what you're seeing is the default delivery because this recipe fell through).