Re: Filtering Forwarded Email.

2005-03-09 14:37:49
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 13:12:29 -0800, PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org
(Professional Software Engineering) wrote:

At 12:00 2005-03-09 -0800, multimedia-fan(_at_)myrealbox(_dot_)com wrote:
Thank you for  the advice.

One thing that I am not sure, shall I avoid any ${DEFAULT} in the rcfile
since it is not a local delivery?

Well, what I do is specify the delivery action as the argument to the
rcfile, and I don't happen to be invoking the /etc/procmailrc, but some
other purpose-specific rcfile (within /etc/procmailrcs/).  Invocation would
be more like so:

jsmtih:    "|/usr/bin/procmail -m /etc/procmailrcs/forward.rc
jsmith(_at_)newaddress(_dot_)tld"

At the bottom of my seneschal filterset, I have:

# Default rule - pass off to majordomo (using config we were passed).
# Passing the message through formail to strip the X-Envelope-From: header
# we added isn't strictly necessary, but this restores the message to
# the condition it was originally received in.
:0
| formail -I "X-Envelope-From:" | $DELIVERY

Delivery was set to $1 in a settings file, and this handles further piped
delivery just fine.  You could just use $1, but this variable assignment
makes it easier to follow in the rcfile.

Fantastic, thank you for taking the time to explain.

I will do that.

Er, I failed to post the url:  <http://www.knoppix.de/>

It's a free download.  Quite a handy tool to have in the computer toolbox,
even if you normally use windoz.

I went to google and found it.
I read somewhere that some people used it to access Windows
NT/XP/2000/2003 drives non bootable computers to rescue data, looks like
a great thing to have.

Thank you again for all the expert advice.