Re: Filtering Forwarded Email.

2005-03-09 13:07:58
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:20:54 -0800, PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org
(Professional Software Engineering) wrote:

At 16:54 2005-03-08 -0800, multimedia-fan(_at_)myrealbox(_dot_)com wrote:
This could be a bit off topic.

Some of the email addresses that I have on one server need to be
forwarded to another domain using /etc/aliases, I am curious if I can
use something like the following in /etc/mail.

jsmtih:    "|/usr/bin/procmail -m jsmith(_at_)newaddress(_dot_)tld
/etc/procmailrc"

Yes.  I use this technique for a variety of things, though you promably
meant to specify the rcfile THEN the email address argument (to be used by
the rcfile).  You'll need to use some other rcfile too, unless you have
that one set up to do forwarding (since it isn't a local delivery).

Thank you for  the advice.

One thing that I am not sure, shall I avoid any ${DEFAULT} in the rcfile
since it is not a local delivery?

It seems to be the logical thing to do.

box on the other domain, I am not sure if this is the correct way of
doing it, or  if I am reading the documentation properly.

You might rush out and get "Knoppix", which is a bootable CD distribution
of Linux (based on Debian).  You can boot up a computer with it (even
without an HD if you'd prefer - it runs off a ramdrive), and tinker with
some settings to experiement, all without having to actually have another
box dedicated to testing.

I will do that.
Thank you again for your time and your advice.