Re: identifying no "From" header

2005-07-28 10:35:28
On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 10:36:52PM +0700, Tim Rice wrote:

In your message dated Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:24:00 +0200, Dallman
said that ...

the simplest, to my knowledge, way of catching an empty or
blank or just-angle-brackets header.  This is it:

  :0:  # brackets contain caret, space, tab, angles
  * ! ^From:.*[^    <>]
  /dev/null

Is the lock necessary with /dev/null?

No.  Thanks for checking.  I had had a regular file down there on
the action line for testing.  But I saw that the OP had /dev/null
there, and I swapped that line out at the last second when I sent
the post.

That said, it has, I believe, been stated to me in the past by
someone who studied the source code that procmail makes a special
case for /dev/null and won't try to lock it even if one puts a
local lockfile on the recipe.  So ultimately it shouldn't matter.

Tim Rice