Re: problem with spamassassin and following rules (Was: Re: OT)

2005-07-31 13:33:51
On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 08:44:53PM +0200, Dallman Ross wrote:
On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 10:46:46PM +0530, Ligesh wrote:

Anyway I think it is a bug in procmail. I saw someone complain in
usenet too, but I couldn't find a resolution. Also he claims the
configuration works on one machine but not on the other. So there
has to be some problem with procmail. I changed spamassassin to
'spamc' and it works fine.

I very highly doubt it's a bug in procmail.

To know more, I think it would be good to see the headers of the
message you sent through that didn't do what you expected as
per that log extract you sent.  Also, what version of SA and
what is the -a flag?

 No it is some form of bug somewhere. I am actually testing this by piping
messages to procmail. The funny thing is, if I pipe the messages to 'strace -f
procmail', instead of just 'procmail', it works fine, and the mail is delivered
properly. Also, when the spamassassin line is removed, the SAME mail - the one
which did not get detected when there was the spamassassin rule - gets properly
filtered. Maybe I can get the source of procmail, compile, and run it through
idevim and find out what's happening.

 But seeing the behaviour with strace, I think if I run it through gdb, the bug
may not show up. This is one of the most frustrating kind of bugs; ones that
disappear in the presence of a debugger. It is most likely a timing issue. The
wait() function may not be working properly, and the checks are happening
before spamassassin properly returns or something. I do not know the
architecture of procmail so I cannot comment more.

 Ok so I think I will just ask one question and go away.  I need
 to sort the spam mails into different mailboxes according to
 their score..

Well, my goal is not to send you away, and that would be too bad on
account of formatting discussions.  How hard is it to type on your
keyboard and pound on the Enter key every once in a while?  We have
some great, and helpful, and experienced procmail users on this
list.

 It is a bit difficult. I write a lot and the actions sort of come
subconsciously. I use the <C-w>, <c-e>, <C-a> f,d,w, e, etc and make a lot of
changes to my message before final posting. If you add hard newlines, editing
the message becomes difficult since the paragraph indentation will get screwed
up when you edit it. This is, in fact, the primary reason I use single line
paragraphs. Indentation becomes automatic. You can add/delete full sentences in
the midst of paragraphs without needing to bother about the indentation.

 I can configure vim to do a forced hard newline wrap to files before it is
saved, or I have to try configuring mutt or msmtp to wrap the lines before
mails are sent.

 thanks.

--
:: Ligesh :: http://ligesh.com