Re: Procmail lock

2005-09-26 09:34:44
On 9/25/05, Sebastian Luque <spluque(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
Cerebus the Aardvark <gkreme(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
Hmm...interesting, I don't seem to have the same set of man pages.  For
example, this last page is entirely missing from my system, and `man
chmod' doesn't have the section named "MODES" as you showed.  I'm using
Debian unstable.

I dunno.  I am using BSD.  Never have used a linux varient.

Thanks, that's very helpful.  So if I understand correctly, I need to set
/var/mail's mode to 1777 *and* set my user file's mode to 600?

No, your LDA will create the user's mail file in /var/mail with
appropriate permissions if it is not present.  If it IS present and
has bad perms, it will move the to user.BOGUS and create a new file.

  That means
it's not convenient to delete the file once all my messages have been
passed on to my MUA,

generally speaking the user file in /var/mail/ (or /var/spool/mail/)
is never deleted.  Mail is deleted out of it, and it may be a 0 byte
file, but it si not normally deleted.

--
<http://2blog.kreme.com/>