Re: greenlist.dat

2005-10-21 10:07:21
At 10:42 2005-10-21 -0500, Christopher L. Barnard wrote:
Sorry about the top-post.  This is the only mailing list I'm on that
requsted responses at the bottom...

Perhaps procmail is the only technical maillist that you're on, esp that is
remotely MAIL related?  Most lists on the net have degraded into
free-for-alls, with no way to maintain simple (and age-old) communications
standards.

BTW, if you're sending messages to a mailing list, there's rarely good
reason to ALSO copy the prior author - if they're s*bbed to the list, then
they'll be getting a copy generated from your submission to the list anyway.

I still have a problem.  The very first line in my greenlist file is, as
you would expect
cbot.com

however, someone sent me email this morning to
"Christopher Barnard" <cbar44(_at_)TSG(_dot_)CBOT(_dot_)COM>

*TO*, as OPPOSED TO *FROM*

Please review the formail invocation you're reporting trouble with - it's
extracting the FROM field.  What do we care what address the message was
addressd TO?  Your recipe certainly doesn't.

and it went into my garbage folder.  Investigating in my logs:

procmail: Executing " formail -xFrom: | /usr/bin/fgrep -ei -f
/home/cbar44/.procmail/greenlist.dat"
procmail: Program failure (1) of " formail -xFrom: | /usr/bin/fgrep -ei -f
/home/cbar44/.procmail/greenlist.dat"

Er, you should READ the grep manpage.  Your use of -e is woefully incorrect
here.

Why would this generate a Program failure in formail?

It's a program failure of the whole shell pipeline - probably because of a
program failure ( = nonzero exit code ) of fgrep.  I'm going to take a wild
guess and say that's because the FROM text didn't contain an "i" (see above
comment about improper use of '-e').

Try invoking the command pipeline at a shell prompt (piping your message to
it).  Use 'echo $?' to display the program result code immediately afterwards.