Re: greenlist.dat

2005-10-21 10:42:41
At 10:42 2005-10-21 -0500, Christopher L. Barnard wrote:
Sorry about the top-post.  This is the only mailing list I'm on that
requsted responses at the bottom...

Perhaps procmail is the only technical maillist that you're on, esp that is
remotely MAIL related?  Most lists on the net have degraded into
free-for-alls, with no way to maintain simple (and age-old) communications
standards.

I think I'll refrain from commenting here, because you are clearly in too
foul of a mood.  You are subscribed to the wrong lists.  The closest to a
free-for-all with no standards to be civil is, well, this list.

BTW, if you're sending messages to a mailing list, there's rarely good
reason to ALSO copy the prior author - if they're s*bbed to the list, then
they'll be getting a copy generated from your submission to the list anyway.

Yes.  And since procmail is useful for those sorts of duplicates, it is
safe to assume that if someone does not want two copies they will have the
rules in place.  Since a good sized mailing list can take hours to
propogate whereas an individual email is very fast, it is polite to
respond to the sender.  If that individual does not want duplicates, he or
she will filter out the duplicate.

I still have a problem.  The very first line in my greenlist file is, as
you would expect
cbot.com

however, someone sent me email this morning to
"Christopher Barnard" <cbar44(_at_)TSG(_dot_)CBOT(_dot_)COM>

*TO*, as OPPOSED TO *FROM*

In my attempt to be brief I deleted the wrong line.  The From: was
"another user" <user(_at_)CBOT(_dot_)COM>.  My fault.

and it went into my garbage folder.  Investigating in my logs:

procmail: Executing " formail -xFrom: | /usr/bin/fgrep -ei -f
/home/cbar44/.procmail/greenlist.dat"
procmail: Program failure (1) of " formail -xFrom: | /usr/bin/fgrep -ei -f
/home/cbar44/.procmail/greenlist.dat"

Er, you should READ the grep manpage.  Your use of -e is woefully incorrect
here.

Er, you should read this mailing list.  My use of -e here is to solve
another problem that I was having with my greenlist and was explicitly
suggested by another user on this list.

Christopher