Re: greenlist.dat

2005-10-21 10:39:18
On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 09:59:07AM -0700, Professional Software
Engineering wrote:

At 10:42 2005-10-21 -0500, Christopher L. Barnard wrote:

Sorry about the top-post.  This is the only mailing list I'm on
that requsted responses at the bottom...

Perhaps procmail is the only technical maillist that you're on,
esp that is remotely MAIL related?  Most lists on the net have
degraded into free-for-alls, with no way to maintain simple (and
age-old) communications standards.

I like to point people here, which is from a FreeBSD mailing list.
I tell people to note especially Section 2.4.  :-)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M16F51D39

BTW, if you're sending messages to a mailing list, there's rarely
good reason to ALSO copy the prior author - if they're s*bbed
to the list, then they'll be getting a copy generated from your
submission to the list anyway.

Yeah, I've dug his cc'd mail to me out of my spam folder each time
now.  :-)  I know I used to say here I wanted cc's, and some old
list memebers remember that and send them to me.  But I've changed
my mind and my storage habits, so I don't really want 'em anymore
in the general case.  But I don't usually say anything because of
my prior request to have them.

Why would this generate a Program failure in formail?

It's a program failure of the whole shell pipeline - probably
because of a program failure ( = nonzero exit code ) of fgrep.
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that's because the FROM
text didn't contain an "i" (see above comment about improper use
of '-e').

I don't have any better ideas at present.  The OP should perform
some shell-prompt testing, exactly as you suggest (snipped).

Dallman