Re: Who is the procmail maintainer? (revisited 2005)

2005-11-11 15:01:51
How do I sort mail to $MAILDIR/YYYYMMDD ? I run date(1).

You can use the date from the From_ line (or one from some other header
field like one of the Received header fields, or even fall back to the
date in the Date header field).

With all due respect Ruud, but that is a laughable suggestion. Coding
the recipe with a call to date is done in 30 seconds, it's difficult to
put a bug into it, and I know what I'm getting. Starting to parse From_
(oops, it doesn't have a guaranteed format) takes ages to go through
develop/test cycles, is error prone, and plain isn't worth my time -
especially with procmail's prehistoric \/ function. Your kind of
suggestion illustrates nicely why there needs to be some procmail
evolution to bring its use-by date forward to the current date, and
preferably beyond. As someone pointed out, vi lost it ages ago.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is possibly list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/             Please do not CC list postings to me.