Re: Who is the procmail maintainer? (revisited 2005)

2005-11-11 16:06:50
Volker Kuhlmann:

How do I sort mail to $MAILDIR/YYYYMMDD ? I run date(1).

You can use the date from the From_ line (or one from some other
header field like one of the Received header fields, or even fall
back to the date in the Date header field).

With all due respect Ruud, but that is a laughable suggestion.

You can laugh all you want, but adding a single line to your .procmailrc
is all that is really needed.

After downloading a proper include-file, once. Like in many other areas,
you can reuse the work from others, and there is plenty available.

The way I do it, gives me many nice variables that I can use in
different places in my .procmailrc.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rvtol/procmail -> basic -> pm -> H_From_parse.inc

On busy systems, parsing the values out of the From_ line in stead of
calling date (once or more) per message, could mean an important
difference in the number of messages per second it can handle.

In a secure environment, `date` doesn't even have to be available.
At one place, I only have:
b(un)zip2, cat, formail, grep, g(un)zip,
lockfile, mail2news, mkdir, origip.pl,
procmail, rblcheck, rm, rmdir, sed,
spamcopreporter, stripmultiparts, vacation
(so not even a shell).

--
Ruud