Re: If you use AOL or Yahoo, it's time to find a new ISP

2006-02-09 10:18:11
You should have read Eric's Article at his site fully.  I followed the
link at the bottom of his page to the original article:
http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3581301

which has a link to an updated article that stated that they (AOL) would
continue their enhanced whitelist service.

http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3583201

Curtis Maurand

Chris Barnes wrote:
I am sending this to every email list to which I subscribe - because
most of them use the Listserv software written by Eric Thomas.  I have
*personally* known Eric Thomas since he first wrote Listserv back in
1985.  Not only is he one of the smartest IT guys I have ever known, he
is also one of the wisest in that he has the ability to look at the Big
Picture.

Read what he says and understand that this is not coming from someone
who is prone to wild accusations, nor is he a "pro-spammer" even to the
slightest degree.   Also realize that what he says of the Goodmail
program's impact on Listserv lists, will also affect lists run by other
mailing list managers such as MailMan, Listproc, etc.  In other words,
virtually every free public email list available - anywhere on the
Internet.

From the Listserv Listowner's email list archives at:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0602&L=lstsrv-l&T=0&P=429

L-Soft has  joined the growing  number of companies that  protest
against
AOL's recent announcement  that it will phase out  its Enhanced
Whitelist
service in June in favour of Goodmail CertifiedEmail, which carries an
as
yet unspecified per-message fee. In a nutshell, companies like L-Soft
get
on the AOL whitelist by following good e-mail practices, such as
cleaning
up dead addresses, making it easy  for people to leave mailing lists,
and
of course not  sending any spam. This  is all going to be  thrown out
the
window and replaced with the payment of hard currency to Goodmail.
People
who can afford  to pay this fee  will have the privilege  of reaching
AOL
subscribers, others  will end up  in junk  folders. Yahoo is  expected
follow down the same path.

I have nothing  against certification as an additional tool  in the
fight
against spam. Knowing that message such and such genuinely comes from
its
purported sender  can help improve  the accuracy  of your spam  filter.
also understand that  certification costs money, unless  sponsored by
the
government or by volunteers donating their time to the cause. But I
think
per-message  certification  fees make  as  much  sense as  per-click
SSL
certificate fees.  I also find that  the "rumoured" rates that  have
been
mentioned in  some of the  press articles  are totally out  of
proportion
with the service being provided. The  fee is several times what
providers
currently charge  for the service  of hosting the mailing  list,
removing
dead addresses, making backups, etc.  As an illustration, a typical
hobby
list would cost  on the order of  $500-1000 a year. An  active list
could
cost $10k  or more  a year. This  may not be  much for  the
manager of a large company, not  when compared to print adverts, but
what
about the rest  of us? I know L-Soft hosting  customers cannot afford
the
price increase that would be necessary  to cover an identification fee
of
five figures PER DAY.

And for many of us, this identification  fee is not even an option. To
be
eligible for Goodmail accreditation, you must "have business
headquarters
located in the United States or  Canada." Foreigners need not bother.
You
must also "have at least a 6 month mailing history from [the] IP"
address
from which you are sending your  newsletter. This of course makes it
very
difficult to switch  ISPs if you are  not satisfied with the  one you
are
using. A new ISP means a new  IP address, and Goodmail will then shut
you
down for "at least 6 months." A nice 'protection' plan for the ISP, but
disaster for customers.

Anyway, here is a link to our  full press release, which has been sent
major  publications today.  And  I  want to  salute  the  courage of
the
executives at hosting-only  companies that have spoken  up and
protested,
knowing full  well that  they would  go out  of business  in a  matter
of
months were  their access  to AOL and  Yahoo mailboxes to  be cut  off
in
retaliation. In  the post-Enron  era, this kind  of corporate  courage
is
very rare  indeed. I stand  on much firmer ground,  as hosting is  only
side activity  at L-Soft,  but I  can still imagine  what must  have
gone
through their mind before they hit the send button.

http://www.lsoft.com/news/aol-goodmail.asp

Eric