Cutting to the chase?

2006-02-13 00:52:16
I have a bunch of recipes the action line sets the variable BOUNCE =
"(bounce reason)" if a condition is met.  Then at the end of the file I
check if BOUNCE contains a value, and if so I call formail to bounce
the message, telling the sender what the specific bounce reason is.

What I want is procmail to stop processing and just send the bounce
when BOUNCE is set.  That way my .procmaillog file doesn't grow to an
outrageous size as procmail dutifully records all the recipes it's
evaluating which are all moot since I already know I want to bounce the
message.

I know I can invoke formail as the action line for each recipe instead
of just setting BOUNCE="...", but that would make my .procmailrc file
pretty big, since the formail action spans a few lines and I'd be
repeating it dozens of times.  Also, that would the ability to edit the
action in one place, since it would be everywhere.

I don't think what I want to do is possible, but you guys are the
experts, so I figured I'd ask here.  Thanks for your help.