handling spam with exitcode=67

2006-04-05 22:49:44
Just recently I added this recipe to my .procmailrc file. I'm not sure
it's something I'm going to keep... but it's a good learning exercise. :-)

# If it looks like spam, put it a separate folder
# then tell the sender I don't exist. :-)
:0
* $ ^X-Spam-Status:${SPC}Yes
{
        :0 c:
        ${TRASH}

        # 67 = addressee is unknown (ref. /usr/include/sysexits.h)
EXITCODE=67
        # setting the host name causes procmail to stop if new name
doesn't match server
        HOST=nospam.com
}

It's an interesting idea, causing an "undeliverable" message back to the
sender.... of course the sender may be spoofed...

But my question is related more to the mechanics of using exitcode ths
way....

I have a bunch of aliases in /etc/aliases which all eventually resolve  to
the same final recipient.

When the exitcode 67 is used this way, the "undeliverable message"
reports t is the "resolved" address which can't be found, rather that  the
alias the original message was actually sent to.

For example... in /etc/aliases I may have:

hideme: don

spam gets sent to hideme(_at_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_)com

and the message sent back to the sender says "don is not a known user id".

Is this by design, or is this a bug I can report (against sendmail)?

Even though hideme does resolve to "don", with an exitcode of 67, I'd
expect the unknown addressee to be reported as "hideme" = the address  the
message was sent to, not "don" (the actual recipient)

Is there a way to get that behavior?

Thanks,
Don