Re: Recipe to block unqualified domains?

2006-05-25 15:46:02
Dave Waxman wrote:

[snip]
I am hesitant to add all these as I am affraid they may remove too much
legit mail.  Have you ever found an inability to receive mail from
friends or family who use some of the larger, crappier ISPs such as
Earthlink, AOL, Comcast etc etc?  Also; I run my mail server off a
residential (sshhh) connection, do you think half of these BLs would ban
me?

The *trick* I believe, in running smtp at home and not eventually ending
up on blacklists is to get an MX record in the DNS system for your address.

Some sites check for the presence of such and if absent, figure you're a
spammer.

I forget the site now, but I tried to register my e-mail address to
receive an e-mail newsletter. When I entered my home domain name, it was
rejected - saying it was not a valid e-mail address. How did it come to
that conclusion? I figure it did a dns lookup and found no MX record for
me. Other senders aren't so picky...

For your outgoing mail, in your smtp config file you can have your mail
go through your ISP's SMTP server, or google's (if you have an account)
so your recipient "sees" you as coming from a "real" mail server.