Re: Renamed bogus "/var/mail/caseym" into "/var/mail/BOGUS.caseym.j8UB"

2006-05-30 00:41:37
On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 04:42:11PM +1000, Paul Matthews wrote:

I've just had a major server crash and when getting everything
back on-line i've noticed this is my maillog?

Can someone tell me whats going on?

As I said to the last poster in an unrelated thread: the first
thing to do is to read the fine man page.  The second thing to
do might be to write this list.

Here are some telling excerpts from 'man procmail', which I
suggest you read more completely to get a good understanding
of what's happening.  But the short version is, it's a file-
permission problem.

 9:35am [~/Mail] 534[0]> man procmail | grep -A3 -i bogus
man: Formatting manual page...
       Renaming bogus "x" into "x"
                              The system mailbox of the recipient was found to
                              be bogus, procmail performed evasive actions.

       Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded/failed
                              A filter returned unsuccessfully, procmail tried
--
       bogus  mailheaders).  The regular expression that is used to search for
       these postmarks is:

--
       If  /var/mail/$LOGNAME is a bogus mailbox (i.e., does not belong to the
       recipient, is unwritable, is a symbolic link or is a hard link),  proc-

dman