Improving my procmail setup - Re: Whole new question - procmail almost working

2006-06-17 20:52:37
Professional Software Engineering wrote:
At 14:22 2006-06-17 +0100, G.W. Haywood wrote:

Don't forget to rebuild the sendmail database(s) after changing the
files .../alias and/or .../virtusertable - it's left as an exercise
for the reader to figure out how.  :)

The OP already indicated that he's using a webadmin tool which
auto-rebuilds after changes.  Ensuring that dbs are rebuilt was among my
original recommendations.

I don't use webadmin tools, but I've got to wonder how they synchronize a
multiple file change -- there are times where you're changing a virtuser
entry, a rule, and a supporting alias, and want the changes to take effect
simultaniously (or near enough), and having each db rebuilt after each
individual change would be problematic.

I can state that after you questioned me about rebuilding the databases,
I 'watched' what was happening after each save and saw that specific
database rebuilt.  So if someone were just doing this casually they
might get a nasty supprise.  What I do with my DNS and Apache is open
multiple tabs, make all the changes needed, check them all over, the
click save on each window.  I might think this does the changes as
closely linked as a makefile might do?

Oh, I had some time to think over what I have accomplished and what I
probably really need to accomplish, I still have a lot to do.  But
before I do anything more with Procmail, I need to get Spam Assassin
working.  They haven't found me yet, but I don't need spam messing up my
fax server....
I've long used a makefile setup I wrote.

Incidentally it would be more useful, particularly for those searching
the list archives in years to come, if we were to use more informative
subject lines.

Ya don't say. <g>