problems fetching mail: role of mda?

2006-10-14 08:42:43

Hi,

I recently moved to a new administrative domain and have some
problems with fetching mails, which I can't explain myself since

 - the same setup worked before and
 - on two different machines, the behavior is different.

Ok, I use fetchmail plus procmail, to split the fetched emails
into separate local spool files.

Now, the spec. of my fetchmailrc looks as

poll imap.some.where with proto IMAP \
      user 'user1' there is 'user2' here  <MDASPEC> options keep fetchall ssl
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^

The part that seems responsible for the undesirable behavior is the
MDA-specification.  I tried a couple of guesses wich seemed plausible to
me, like

1) <MDASPEC> =  and wants mda "/usr/bin/procmail"

   That fetches the emails from the server, but the spooled
   emails are not appropriately recognized afterwards
   by my email client tool (which is gnus.)

2) <MDASPEC> =  empty (i.e., no specification of the mda)

   That works ok at my laptop, however, at my
   desktop it fails (both Linux machines, namely fedora, resp. red hat linux)
    yielding:

          SMTP connect to local host failed
          fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching mails from
imap.some.where
          fetchmail: query status=10 (SMTP)

3) <MDASPEC> =  some other choices like eg. /usr/sbin/sendmail
          similarly fail

Any suggestions what the reason should be or where I should look
to repair that?

thanks, Martin