Re: problems fetching mail: role of mda?

2006-10-23 13:04:41
On 10/14/06, Martin Steffen <msteffen(_at_)ifi(_dot_)uio(_dot_)no> wrote:

Hi,

I recently moved to a new administrative domain and have some
problems with fetching mails, which I can't explain myself since

 - the same setup worked before and
 - on two different machines, the behavior is different.

Ok, I use fetchmail plus procmail, to split the fetched emails
into separate local spool files.

Now, the spec. of my fetchmailrc looks as

poll imap.some.where with proto IMAP \
     user 'user1' there is 'user2' here  <MDASPEC> options keep fetchall ssl
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^

The part that seems responsible for the undesirable behavior is the
MDA-specification.  I tried a couple of guesses wich seemed plausible to
me, like

1) <MDASPEC> =  and wants mda "/usr/bin/procmail"

  That fetches the emails from the server, but the spooled
  emails are not appropriately recognized afterwards
  by my email client tool (which is gnus.)

2) <MDASPEC> =  empty (i.e., no specification of the mda)

  That works ok at my laptop, however, at my
  desktop it fails (both Linux machines, namely fedora, resp. red hat linux)
   yielding:

         SMTP connect to local host failed
         fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching mails from
imap.some.where
         fetchmail: query status=10 (SMTP)

3) <MDASPEC> =  some other choices like eg. /usr/sbin/sendmail
         similarly fail

Any suggestions what the reason should be or where I should look
to repair that?

Hi Martin,

fetchmail should default to either sendmail or procmail if you don't
specify an MDA.  From the error you're getting, it sounds like
sendmail isn't listening on your host system.  Running fetchmail with
the -v flag will probably give you more detail.  When I used to use
fetchmail I would pass all my mail directly to procmail with this:

mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"

--
-- Matt Dunford -- zenmatic(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com