Re: problems fetching mail: role of mda?

2006-10-30 13:58:55
"Matt" == Matt Dunford <zenmatic(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

    Matt> On 10/28/06, Martin Steffen <msteffen(_at_)ifi(_dot_)uio(_dot_)no>
wrote:
    >> Ah, no, it's /var/mail/user.
    >>
    >> I think the \r is some ``line break'' that has been inserted
    >> somewhere by the news-posting process.
    >>
    >> But indeed, on the machine, that I used to flush the emails onto,
    >> the file /var/mail/user does not exist (where "user" = "msteffen" in
    >> my case).

    Matt> That error message seems to indicate that procmail is trying to
    Matt> deliver at least some of the messages to /var/mail/msteffen.  Did
    Matt> you define the DEFAULT variable to $HOME/Mail/spool?

Well, not 100% (the name of the default file is different), but
conceptually: yes, that's what I use. So it's

DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/misc.spool

The other setting I use in the preamble of the resource file read:

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=$HOME/bin:/local/procmail/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/local/bin:.
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail/spool               # You'd better make sure it exists
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/misc.spool
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from
LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail

All rather standard I would assume. I guess I just learnt those from the
man-pages or somewhere (and they worked for years on various platforms).

Indeed, the settings _do_ work at my laptop but not at the PC at work. The
difference
between the two is not too radical (both Linux (red-hat vs. fedora core)), but
at the machine at my work, indeed under

    /var/mail/

there is no file

    /var/mail/msteffen

(and I don't have the rights to generate one there), whereas at my laptop there
is.

The reason is, I guess, that most people access the mail via one dedicated
machine via imap using some webmailer (which I don't like), whereas I'd
like to transfer it to my disk-space in my home directory.

 But indeed I don't understand why this process of flushing the emails
needs bothering about the missing /var/mail/msteffen at all, since I don't
what the emails there, but in $DEFAULT.

Martin