Re: Determining a message's size in Procmail

2006-12-11 12:13:45
On Dec 11, 2006, at 7:21 AM, Rado S wrote:

=- Michael J Wise wrote on Mon 11.Dec'06 at  6:48:40 -1000 -=

a) does this happen even with : locking?

I <3 Maildir....

That's fine for your mailfolders not to get corrupted, but the
logfile is not protected this way.

It's protected in other ways.
Writes to it are "atomic" on a line-by-line basis.
So I write everything out as a single "line".

But d'oh, that was meant as suggestion to get rid of logfile
corruption for the LOGABSTRACT=yes case, where you complained it
would get messed up when under heavy load.

If you write it out as a single multi-line line[1] (heh...), it
doesn't get messed up.
No locking required.
Even the logabstract doesn't have that feature, as I found out a long
time ago.

I want it to have EVERYTHING.
And it does.
It's great for forensics.

Aha ... why not simply keep a copy of all your mail archived in a
separate folder rather then a logfile with
:0c:
$ARCHIVE

# ???

There can't be more "EVERYTHING" than that.

Because then the users would complain....
It's not "My" email, as such, that we're discussing, you see.

When people violently disagree about something...
Most of the time, they're not actually talking about the same thing.
Even though both parties may THINK they are.

Aloha mai Nai`a!

[1] ie, one write operation, even though the string contains
linefeeds, etc.
--
"Please have your Internet License             http://kapu.net/~mjwise/
   and Usenet Registration handy..."