Re: fetchmail to procmail to smtp server

2007-01-14 10:41:53
Thanks.

I have just built a Ubuntu Server with fetchmail, procmail, dove imap, razor
spam, spamassassin, clamav and its pulling all the work emails in from
various servers etc etc.

I would also like to grab some of my personal emails via pop3 to this server
too, so all the emails will be checked for spam and virus' etc and then I
would like these emails sent to another server after they have been checked.

so I a spoke rule would be

1. Grab emails from ISP (POP3)
2. Check Whitelist
3. Check Razor Spam
4. Check SpamAssassin
5. Check ClamAV
6. If email is (To: me(_at_)thisdomain(_dot_)com)
   SMTP Forward/Relay to mailserver2
7. mailserver2 will then accept this email.

All my rules alter the Header of the email only. If there is a spam email
the header is altered, and no serverside filtering is done, thats up to the
user. So the email sent to mailserver2 will have the nessesary headers if
the email is considered spam.

A few years back I used to run VPop on the server (windows server) and VPop
has the option to "LAN Forward" emails to other SMTP servers. So something
like that, but using procmail recipes.

Thanks again.

Paul.
On 1/14/07, Don Russell <don(_at_)drussell(_dot_)dnsalias(_dot_)com> wrote:

Paul Goodyear wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, and sorry for not being more specific. I kinda
> gathered it _is_ possible (I remember the day someone said to me "Try
> using procmail instead, it can do anything"). :)
>
> I have looked and searched, but cannot find any info on forwarding or
> lan forwarding a received mail. Most examples and tutorials discuss
> forwarding to another email address rahter than delivering the email
> to a SMTP server.

Ah, I see the difference in what you are asking now. No, I do not know
how to establish a tcp/ip session to another SMTP server from procmail.

I'm not sure I understand why you'd do such a thing.. to me, if the
e-mail is being delivered to the wrong server, then it's being sent to
the wrong e-mail address...

If you want to do something like receive mail, redirect it to a "third
party" and then receive it again at the original place, I would do that
by inserting additional headers and forwarding the message to another
e-mail address.

Maybe if I understood what you are trying to do, it would help.