RE: Lookup inside a procmail script

2007-02-23 09:54:55

Am 2007-02-13 14:18:27, schrieb Professional Software Engineering:
Some people are apparently unable to compose a message to a list and
key in
the address, so they've got to take another message, reply to it (so
they
can get the list address in the To: field), then overwrite the
subject and
(hopefully) erase the body so they can compose a new message,
without
regard to the fact that doing this sets additional headers in the
message
which relate it to a thread which it has nothing to do with.

You know and I know it.

But I was realy neved since I have gotten over 10 Hijaking messages
in
less then one hour.  I think, peoples shoud make a "Drivers-Licence"
for the Internet before using it.

And MORE responsability for VIRUS infected computers.  If this would
go into a LAW, it would stop 90% of the spam.

I agree, but the responsibility for all the hijacked computers rests
squarely on Microsoft's shoulders. There would be no real spam problem
at all of their OS had even mediocre security. Then the miscreants
would
be fairly easily traced and dealt with.

--Jeff

Not to defend the responsibility of Microsoft, I do think the difficulty
of sendmail to
config is also a contributing factor. For people like us who has a mail
server for
simple routine task, how to config sendmail is a nightmare. I have been
asking around
how to make sendmail allows only the person with Linux login and
password to send/receive
but yet to find a 'positive' answer. Change access, change trustuser or
change relay-doamins etc.
there are so many options and no one seem to sure which option do what
and how each interact
with other.

I manage to get procmail going is purely because I bumped into this user
group that I can get
some helping hand or at least useful hints.

I did send e-mail to other user groups like IMAP / Novell Suse and all
e-mails lost in the
cyberspace, I guess. I would like to configure sendmail/imap with all
these security
features but it is hard enough for me to put them in the back order
list.

Not everybody willing to spend enough time reading all manual pages; and
even if they do read,
they most likely can not understand them and put them into action. Up to
now, I still do not know
whether our server has been configured properly, at least to not allow
unauthorized use as
spam/junk delivery machine. On the other hand, asking a question to do
with window, you can
guarantee a lot replies.

The idea of Driving License is bizarre; it will only drive more people
to Microsoft. I think it
would be a more efficient business world if we can do away with window
but at the moment,
we can not. I am trying to do away with window in the server side and it
is hard going
so far. Configure Oracle on a Linux server is about 10 times harder than
with Window
server.

There would not be any easy solution; the most practical solution would
be good and responsive
user group of different levels. For example, maybe there is a section of
procmail dealing with
'dumb' questions; a bit more verbose explanation of what the script is
trying to do.

It is unfortunately that the world is made of mostly dumb people with
dumb questions. So sitting
high and look down the real world would not change anything. Remember
you are the minority.

Rgds,
Kfl.