Re: Lookup inside a procmail script

2007-02-24 06:47:19
DR. Lee - NS1 wrote:
Not to defend the responsibility of Microsoft, I do think the difficulty
of sendmail to
config is also a contributing factor. For people like us who has a mail
server for
simple routine task, how to config sendmail is a nightmare. I have been
asking around
how to make sendmail allows only the person with Linux login and
password to send/receive
but yet to find a 'positive' answer. Change access, change trustuser or
change relay-doamins etc.
there are so many options and no one seem to sure which option do what
and how each interact
with other.

Using sendmail for this is a real hammer to crack a nut approach. If all
you want to do is send and receive emial from your single user Linux
box, then use a mail client (such as Thunderbird) to connect via imap to
read/get your email and then send to a local server.

The only reason for running sendmail is if you need to handle mail for
mutliple users on the same machine.

Sendmail is difficult to configure - (I well remember how daunting it
was the first time I did it on a Digital Unix box in the early '90s) but
if you have a distribution that packages sendmail in a reasonable way (I
use fedora on my laptop and servers and it works for me - ymmv), it's
not that hard. There's a heap of useful documentation out there on the net.

--
Robert Hart
hartr(_at_)interweft(_dot_)com(_dot_)au