RE: unsetting LOGFILE?

2007-05-25 04:29:17
martin f krafft wrote on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:17 AM:

I am trying to make procmail feed an error message back to
the MTA, but the MTA never gets the note because it's caught
by $LOGFILE.

LOGFILE captures output with status "1", which I guess
is the same as /dev/stderr -- though I never thought about
this in exactly that way before and may be stating something
imprecisely.

To "bounce" messages from procmail with senmdail or a clone,
typically one uses a different EXITCODE such as 77.
MTA-dependent, of course.  (There are tables out there.)
So basically, I'm unclear on what you are trying to do.
But I don't think you want to set EXITCODE to 1.

It works fine if I do not set LOGFILE, but I want that set
for various reasons.

How can I unset LOGFILE and cause procmail to write stderr
back to the MTA?

Apparently you asked or impliedly wondered about a different
problem later in this thread, though I have not seen that
article for some reason.  But anyway, there is only one way
I know about to get procmail to write to a device
after LOGFILE has once been set, and that is to direct
the output explicitly to /dev/tty.

Dallman