Re: set status of mails in maildirs?

2007-08-02 10:03:44
In message
<!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAAAAfIuZ1uAZ0BGnLERFU1QAAMKAAAAQAAAAJZKjBXtRWk+4rgaomyaVxwEAAAAA(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com>,
Dallman Ross wrote:
LuKreme ("Kreemy") wrote on 1 August 2007:
On 30-Jul-2007, at 11:55, N.J. Mann wrote:
  { TRAP='mv $LASTFOLDER ${LASTFOLDER}:2,F' }

Sorry, I just have no idea what that is supposed to do.  I
don't even know where to begin.

Well, gee, Kreemy.  We discussed it a couple or three years
ago when you were on the list.

It was in November 2006. :-)  See:
http://mailman.rwth-aachen.de/pipermail/procmail/2006-November/025064.html
I knew what I wanted to do, but wasn't sure of the best way to do it.
David W. Tamkin was kind enough to suggest the TRAP method.

Thanks for answering "Kreemy".  I was just about to until I saw your
reply.  You explained TRAP far better than I could have done!

LASTFOLDER knows where in the maildir hierarchy the file was
saved and what its name is.  Maildir uses that :2,F thing
on the end to mark messages read.  Voila.

Actually, the :2,F "flags" the mail, it doesn't mark it as read or
"seen" which is the maildir mailbox format term.  To mark a message as
seen you need to add ":2,S" - as Michelle Konzack correctly pointed out.
(Next time I will not rush when posting a reply to the list.  I _will_
double and triple check my facts!)

http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html  has an explanation of maildir
mailbox format.

Oh, and ignore that mess that Michelle posted with all sorts of

Actually, I think Michelle may be correct, but I haven't tested the
recipes posted by Michelle.  I suspect if you just add the :2,S suffix
without moving the message from the "new" directory to the "cur", the
MUA will treat the message an old unread message rather than a read
message, which is what the original poster wanted.

Cheers,
       Nick.