Re: "mailbox as soft link" problem

2008-07-14 01:31:33
Thanks for your answer!

Am 11.07.08 17:10 schrieb "Bart Schaefer" unter
<barton(_dot_)schaefer(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>:

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 6:53 AM, Markus Krause
<mkrause(_at_)biochem(_dot_)mpg(_dot_)de> wrote:
...users mailboxes, some (about 25) have inboxes of over 1.5 GB....
Maybe i should try another imap deamon. Has someone experiance with dovecot?

What mailbox format are you using for those inboxes?  And what clients
(e.g., Outlook, Thunderbird, Pine, ...?) are typically connecting?
At the moment its mbox, but obviously the migration to maildir is inevitable
The clients are almost all available: Outlook in any flavour, Thunderbird,
Eudora, Mail (Mac OS X), Entourage ...

Dovecot is an OK imap server.  We've been using it since RH/CentOS
replaced the UW server with dovecot 0.99 (CentOS 4) but we recently
had to update it to dovecot-1.0.13-0_68 from atrpms (I believe)
because 0.99 began producing UID values outside the range of a signed
32-bit integer, which [while valid] choked MS Outlook.

However, if your inboxes are standard flat-file-with-"From"-lines mbox
format, dovecot will only give a small performance boost over UW; and
in some circumstances may be worse, because there are cases in which
it will allow badly-behaved clients to open multiple connections to
the same folder whereas UW would kill the old connection as soon as
the new one is made.  Also setting up shared mailboxes is a lot more
difficult with dovecot, but that may not be of concern to you.

I might mention, though, that Mark Crispin (author of UW IMAP) has
been laid off from his job at UW and is pessimistic that the U will
continue to develop that server, so unless Mark decides to turn Panda
into a collaborative project you're probably looking at changing
servers at some point down the road anyway.

Thats an interesting point ... So one argument in addition for moving to
maildir and another imap server ..

Regards
  Markus