Re: "mailbox as soft link" problem

2008-07-12 13:13:07

Markus Krause wrote:

Thanks for your answer.

[...]

The system:
We have a mail server (IBM linux machine, with SuSE Linux), 16 CPU (Xeon
2,5GHz), 16 GB RAM, 500 GB RAID5 storage for mail (we have our users mail in
/home/mail/$username, users can not login to this host, just use it via imap
or pop) and another 500 GB RAID5 for /var/spool/mail, all file systems are
XFS.

Michelle gave you the answers, move to Maildir.   Lucky you set the
filesystem to XFS because other filesystems can cause problem because
of big number of Inods!

Just think, if user has 2 GB inbox - what will be his Sent-Mail size?
If all the folders are seen by IMAP then sending mail can make high
Load too, you can use one machine for incoming and another for outgoing.

In our fculty we found that in case of big boxes the POP cause the Load
and now we have server for IMAP and server for POP. The users don't see it:
I am forwarding the service by xinetd.  It was a big relief!

Bye,
 Udi