Re: Receiving System Mail

2009-02-10 13:14:44
Rem P Roberti wrote:
On 2009.01.30 16:27:47 +0000, Rem P Roberti wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Rem P Roberti wrote:

Put an entry in the root crontab that fires off an email every couple
of > minutes.

Why didn't I think of that?  I'll give that a try.

Rem
Well, I had crontab firing away, and I tried just about every recipe
that I could think of.  So, it appears that the problem has absolutely
nothing to do with procmail, or procmail recipes.  Something in the way
system mail is generated is keeping procmail from seeing it.  I'm not
sure where to look next, but I have the feeling that the answer lies
somewhere within /etc.

Rem
Hi,

do you have some MTA (like sendmail, postfix, ssmtp, msmtp) installed
and if yes, which one is it? I might guess that you do not get any
system mail because the mail never ever gets sent. Did it work before?

One way might be to get postfix (+ sendmail) running. IIRC, postfix has
its own sendmail alternative and should work quite well. Or you might
want to look into ssmtp, a very lightweight solution compared to
postfix. I think ssmtp should work without postfix.

I also read that it should be possible to pass local or system mail
directly to procmail "just by setting up a symlink mail->procmail".
This is something I am very interested in knowing, as I am using msmtp,
which is not capable of handling local mail, AFAIK.

Can someone please enlighten me and correct me if I am wrong?

Yes, I am using msmtp.  It provides a simple solution for me to receive
smtp mail without having to install and configure Postfix, or mess with
sendmail.  There are obvious limitations to this, but I'm a FreeBSD
newbie, and a little daunted by some of the configuration prospects that
I read about in other posts.  At this point I am still reading system
mail via the command line.  I thought it might be helpful to post the
complete header from system mail.  Here it is:

try  in /etc/mail/aliases

root:         user(_at_)somdomain(_dot_)tld

postalias hash:/etc/mail/aliases
postfix reload

The alias will put it into a queue to go to a mailbox somewhere.

--Curtis