Re: Playing a .wav sound

2009-02-10 18:08:35
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Rem P Roberti wrote:

        |mplayer ~/Audio/notify.wav

Trouble is I'm not sure of what the proper syntax is for inclusion in
the recipe.  Can someone give me a heads up on this.  Thanks.

I remember playing with sound a few years ago and, as nothing is ever deleted, just commented out, I find I used to have:

# play sound
DUMMY=`test -f "${PMDIR}/mailsounds/${FROMHEADER}.wav" \
&& play "${PMDIR}/mailsounds/${FROMHEADER}.wav" > /dev/null`

where I have previously defined:

PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail
FROMHEADER=`formail -c -rtz -x To:`

and I have some soundfiles in ~/.procmail/mailsounds

test2\(_at_)clifford(_dot_)ac(_dot_)wav  test\(_at_)clifford(_dot_)ac(_dot_)wav

The idea seems to have been that a sound would be played depending upon whether a sound file existed that matched the from address eg a mail from test2(_at_)clifford(_dot_)ac would play the appropriate sound file.

... later

Just tested it on my server with an email from my gmail account and it works. Not sure what happens if "play" has a problem. Probably best to make it run in the background or something. Maybe this

# play sound
DUMMY=`test -f "${PMDIR}/mailsounds/${FROMHEADER}.wav" \
&& play "${PMDIR}/mailsounds/${FROMHEADER}.wav" > /dev/null &`

Others may be able to advise.

--
Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list.  Please
  address personal email to alan+1@ as lists@ is not read. )