Re: Incorrect Resolution of $HOME Variable

2009-03-30 17:50:20
Um... my $HOME is 755 and $HOME/Maildir is 700 and the actual maildirs
inside are also 700.  Why would dovecot require 777?  Is your dovecot
mail not owned by the user? Are you SURE you are delivering
correctly?  I know lots of people using procmail+dovecot.

Dovecot does NOT require anything other than the default permissions:

/home = 755
/home/user2 = 700
/home/user2/Maildir = 700

Dovecot is working just fine. PROCMAIL only delivers to the directory I
specify in the rules when the entire home tree is set chmod 777. If a
message matches no rules, then delivery is handled as expected with normal
directory permissions.

<http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir>

Notice the last line:

The proper way to configure procmail to deliver to a Maildir is to
use Maildir/ as the destination.

The terminal slash is *required*.

Yes. This is also what I have. See my 'long note' for details.

Also:

By default Dovecot usese Maildir++ directory layout. This means that
all mailboxes are stored in a single directory and prefixed with a
dot. For example:

     ? Maildir/.folder
     ? Maildir/.folder.subfolder

Which is exactly how my procmailrc is writing mailboxes. individual
files are named

1234567890.88750_0.mail.covisp.net:2,

Mine look like that, too (Dovecot-style)(but not the procmail-delivered
ones, as noted in my 'long note'). I just want the mail that matches a
procmail rule to go to the user's primary mailbox, into the IMAP 'new'
directory, just like all of the other mail.

procmail -v is NOT proof that procmail is not expanding the variable.

a .procmailrc that says

LOG=$HOME/test.log
VERBOSE=ON
COMSAT=YES

:0
$DEFAULT

Showing the mail being delivered somewhere other than $HOME/Maildir
would show that procmail is not properly expanding the $HOME.

I am not using local user .procmailrc files, just the global
/etc/procmailrc file, as noted in my 'long note'. But, I appreciate your
point.

I only use procmail for handling mailing list messages sent to a list-only
user, distributed via procmail to individual users' primary mailboxes,
then discarded.

And I'd be interested in those logs, as would others on the list.

There's something very wrong with your machine, and I don't think it
is procmail.

I can accept that. Please tell me which logs would be useful to the group?

James