Re: Some strange is done to subject line

2009-10-29 12:12:26
At 10:11 2009-10-29 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

This rule:
  :0
  * ^Subject:.*Retrospect
  * ^Message-Id:(_dot_)*(_at_)reader\(_dot_)local\(_dot_)lan
  retrospect.in

Appears to fail on a message that satisfies both regex.  At least the
message that turns up in the wrong folder appears to:

Something to keep in mind is whether the recipes that deliver to the "wrong folder" are being processed BEFORE the recipe in question.

  From: reader(_at_)newsguy(_dot_)com
  Subject: Retrospect notification from BJP (10/27/2009)
  To: reader(_at_)reader(_dot_)local(_dot_)lan
  Date: Tue, 27 Oct 09 14:04:35 -0500

Are you viewing this information from within a MUA (which may be decoding the MIME encapsulation), or is this how the raw mailbox file looks, say as viewed using 'more'? The latter is how you should view the message to see how procmail is seeing it.

  procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=local.in"
  procmail: Opening "local.in"
  procmail: Acquiring kernel-lock
  procmail: Notified comsat: "reader(_at_)0:/home/reader/spool/local.in"
  From reader(_at_)newsguy(_dot_)com  Tue Oct 27 14:04:39 2009
Subject: =?utf-8?B?UmV0cm9zcGVjdCBub3RpZmljYXRpb24gZnJvbSBCSlAgKDEwLzI3LzIwMDk

Well, uhm THAT tells you it's an encoding issue, doesn't it?

Look what procmail saw as subject line.  But yet the Message-Id is the
one from the Retrospect mail that turns up in wrong folder.

So?  Your recipe requires that BOTH the conditions match.

Are you new to MIME encoding, or just unaware that it can be used to encode subjects (and name text even) in the header?