Re: Some strange is done to subject line

2009-10-29 13:59:52
PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org (Professional Software Engineering)
writes:
Are you viewing this information from within a MUA (which may be
decoding the MIME encapsulation), or is this how the raw mailbox file
looks, say as viewed using 'more'?  The latter is how you should view
the message to see how procmail is seeing it.

  procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=local.in"
  procmail: Opening "local.in"
  procmail: Acquiring kernel-lock
  procmail: Notified comsat: "reader(_at_)0:/home/reader/spool/local.in"
  From reader(_at_)newsguy(_dot_)com  Tue Oct 27 14:04:39 2009
   Subject:
=?utf-8?B?UmV0cm9zcGVjdCBub3RpZmljYXRpb24gZnJvbSBCSlAgKDEwLzI3LzIwMDk

Well, uhm THAT tells you it's an encoding issue, doesn't it?

If you know that is what it means... and in any event I did say it was
an utf8 issue.

Look what procmail saw as subject line.  But yet the Message-Id is the
one from the Retrospect mail that turns up in wrong folder.

So?  Your recipe requires that BOTH the conditions match.

Are you new to MIME encoding, or just unaware that it can be used to
encode subjects (and name text even) in the header?

Well yes, new, in the sense that I know its around but have had no
practical dealings with it till now.

But at any rate I see now that, for my use, matching even just
the first part of the encoded Subject line like:

   Subject:[    ]=\?utf-8\?B\?UmV0cm9zcGV

in combination with my local home domain appearing in the Message-Id:
will be sufficient to identify them as messages from Retrospect
running on my home lan,

Judging from several such messages it appears the encoding stays the
same for the word Retrospect.