Re: Some strange is done to subject line

2009-10-30 14:43:35
PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org (Professional Software Engineering)
writes:

At 12:59 2009-10-29 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
If you know that is what it means... and in any event I did say it was
an utf8 issue.

It seemed you expressed puzzlement that the message wasn't matching
that recipe and instead was filed elsewhere...

Probably just the result of deep seated stupidity...

Judging from several such messages it appears the encoding stays the
same for the word Retrospect.

Yes, but if there were other text prefixed in there, it'll shift the
encoding.  That is, even if "Retrospect" appears in the subject, you
can't expect the encoded string to match mid-subject as it does in
plain text.

Oh, well that sort of changes things.  Retrospect does change the
subject in that it sets the machines' name and date.  So the decoded
Subject line might be:

 Retrospect notification from BJP (10/27/2009)
 Retrospect notification from MOB1 (10/28/2009)

But like you said, its at the end so it appears those kind of changes
don't really effect the first part of the non-decoded subject lines.

I'm just judging from looking at the last 12 of those kind of
messages. It appears that the non-decoded subject lines are identical
for quite a ways back into the string.

And it seems quite unlikely that retrospect would suddenly start
prefixing something... but who knows when an update comes along for
retrospect ... it might be different.  But when/if that happens at
least I won't be confused again.. (I hope)

These hits below, where I've included both encoded and decoded
strings, involve only 2 different hosts, so looking up a couple of
them by Message-Id you can see the decoded subject lines are different
hosts but still the encoded string has enough the same it can work if
you use just some of the string.

  Subject seen by mail app: Retrospect notification from BJP (10/27/2009)
  Encoded Subject line:
  =?utf-8?B?UmV0cm9zcGVjdCBub3RpZmljYXRpb24gZnJvbSBCSlAgKDEwLzI3LzIwMDk

  Subject seen by mail app: Retrospect notification from MOB1 (10/28/2009)
  Encoded Subject line:
  =?utf-8?B?UmV0cm9zcGVjdCBub3RpZmljYXRpb24gZnJvbSBNT0IxICgxMC8yOC8yMDA