Domain based sorting

2011-08-18 06:28:06
A certain person in my household who shall remain nameless has a habit of
signing up for email newsletters or whatever at a rather astonishing rate, and
I’ve been unable to keep up with any sort of sorting methodology that can help
her.. errr, can help this nameless person keep up with the mail.

I have tried to setup procmail so that ‘real’ mail gets sent in to the inbox
and everything else gets sent into a misc box, but too much ‘real’ mail misses
the inbox and it is difficult (for some reason I don’t understand) for this
person to search and find the important mail.

Now, this isn’t spam, it’s stuff like amazon, woot, group on, land’s end, and
several dozens of others, and all email that, at least in theory, is ‘wanted’

So, my idea was instead of dumping it into Misc.2011-08 I would dump it in
misc.<domain> and then as long as she has some clue as to where the mail might
be from, she should be able to find it. Er, this unnamed person, that is.

this would be simple if the stupid mailers used Precedence: bulk like they are
SUPPOSED to, but let’s not go there.

So, my idea is this:

(cribbed from Sean)

# I’m already doing from here to defining FROM_DOMAIN anyway in the procmailrc
:0 h
CLEANFROM=|formail -IReply-To: -rtzxTo:

# username portion
:0
* CLEANFROM ?? ^\/[^@]+
{ FROM_USER=$MATCH }

# domain portion
:0
* CLEANFROM ?? @\/.*
{ FROM_DOMAIN=$MATCH }

# Process spam and friends and other real mail here

# add this
:0
* ! FROM_DOMAIN ^^^^
.Misc.${FROM_DOMAIN}/

So, my question isn’t so much how to do this, but rather if anyone has any
comments, ideas, suggestions, warnings, caveats, &c?

One thing I will have to fix is that the FROM_DOMAIN will contain, for example,
mx3.domain.tld and I want it to contain just “domain”. That’s trivial though
(And in fact, I may have to check the procmailrc, but it might already be
grabbed into a variable I’ve forgotten about).

--
Once again I teeter at the precipice of the generation gap.