Re: Please fix obsolete address in http://www.procmail.org/era/lists.html

2013-06-15 06:36:33
charlie(_at_)lofcom(_dot_)com wrote off list Fri, 14 Jun 2013 16:16:39 -0400
(EDT)

No thanks ;-)

Julian H. Stacey wrote ..
Hi procmail(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)de

   Yes, because annoying all of the list subscribers who cannot help you
since we don't run the procmail.org website will do you SO much good...

   *plonk*

Rather than mail foolish sarcasm, you should have _Thought_, extrapolated,
& realised:

- The procmail.org community have [had] an admin problem for {Overflow}
  time, preventing subscriptions;
- The procmail.org community have an obsolete web disrupting subscriptions;
- The procmail.org community have an obsolete & now dead owner@ address,
  preventing error reports.
- As all findable email addresses @procmail.org to file mail list error
  were useless, there was nowhere else to file than here.
- The procmail.org community need to alert & volunteer to help
  whoever does admin for procmail.org, as work overflowed & is not done.

History:

- I searched www.procmail.org
- I found an address to subscribe
- That page was obscured with info about some list manager software that
  should be seperated on to another page. That info distracts, I
  suspected it was irrelevant, & in retrospect it Is irrelevant &/or obsolete,
- It does the procmail list a dis-service because it destroys
  assumptions of what might be correct defaults for a list manager
  to write to if subscribe fails. ie procmail-owner or owner-procmail@
  or whatever & whichever domain ?
- Look at that web & find admission of a problem with broken aliases `Yet'
- The procmail community need to find a
  volunteer to discard parts of your web site & rewrite the mail
  list page.
- I did write to owner at both addresses, got nothing but a bounce.
  Weird having a quota on an Owner. Being Over quota suggested
  maybe various other people may also have tried to subscribe & failed.
- You the procmail community may have lost other subscribers, because
  the owner mailbox was over quota. You the community should probably
  realise whoever runs procmail.org needs help from a few of you.
- I contacted postmaster (@ Aachen, not @procmail) & she increased quota
- I wrote list owner again, failed, black hole, no response.
- I offered to Create a procmail mail list if existing one was broken
  (I saw from web that had been done before too !)
- I wrote other names I found on web, finaly got a response, he would look in
  next week.
- Postmaster @ Aachen happened to discover list was now under mailman, kindly
  mailed me a web address, & I subscribed.

  other subscriptions may have failed over time from an overflowing
  mailbox How many other subscriptions may have failed from a wrong
  address ?  Please butcher out all the false rubbish about mail
  list managers & addresses you are not using.  Then do a find &
  grep to ensure no other false occurences of dead addresses

My background
- A happy user of procmail many years.
- A week back I had a procmail problem, which I wanted to ask about,
  but solved, while still obstructed from subscribing by broken procmail.org.
- I've been running 30 lists on a majordomo for maybe a decade,
- I've run Mailman, found a fault, reported it, & will run again sometime.
- I'm a member of about 100 mail lists via various mailman, majordomo,
  & other robots,

charlie(_at_)lofcom(_dot_)com is volunteered to be useful (instead of
sarcastic):
Edit some replacement text for procmail web & submit it to webmaster !

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".