respecting per-user preferences

2003-10-08 22:34:59
On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 09:10:44PM -0700, Phil Karn wrote:

| It is *precisely* the "do the work at the hubs" approach that is so
| dangerous here. I don't want my ISP arbitrarily deciding who can and
| can't send me mail, and I don't think you do either. I insist on
| reserving that control, and it's one of the main reasons I run my own
| incoming mail server alongside my own outbound relay.
|
| I have no problem with delegating the spam filtering job to my ISP as
| long as I remain in ultimate control, and can revoke my delegation at
| any time if the ISP doesn't follow my wishes. I don't see that as true
| for SPF. It's totally ISP-centric.

In a few weeks we're rolling out software that lets individual users
decide which blacklists they want, and whether or not they want to take
SPF into account.

The merits of a particular antispam system should be orthogonal to an
ISP's decisions to apply it on a systemwide basis.  Today, ISPs have no
choice but to make decisions arbitrarily, for the good of the many.
Tomorrow, a new generation of MTAs will respect individual users'
decisions.