Re: Why not just use S/MIME or GPG signatures?

2003-10-10 05:04:16
On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 12:17, Dustin Trammell wrote:

I ran my own outbound mail server on
my local network at home, and pulled my inbound mail from various
sources.  It has worked great for years (as the Internet was intended to
be used, I'll agree)
my $.02

I have to disagree with this statement.  The Internet, specifically SMTP
in this case, was never fully intended (nor designed) for direct
end-to-end email delivery.  It was designed, again speaking about SMTP,
for reliability and scalability with end users using their upstream
mailserver(s) for communications.

Could we all agree using your home or roaming computer to talk directly to any SMTP destination in the world is still a legitimate and sometimes useful thing, and is perfectly compatible with any SPF filtering scheme AS LONG AS you control your own domain name (9$ a year is not that much money, and you can even get free subdomains sometimes).

If you want to use your isp domain name, it is fair to conform to any policy the owner of the domain name might want to impose. (and after all some ISP or organizations could offer the possibility of adding your roaming or home IP to their SPF list if they trust you enough, otherwise just get your own domain name).

Loic