RE: Why not just use S/MIME or GPG signatures?

2003-10-09 21:08:28
On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 12:17, Dustin Trammell wrote:

I ran my own outbound mail server on
my local network at home, and pulled my inbound mail from various
sources.  It has worked great for years (as the Internet was intended to
be used, I'll agree)

my $.02

I have to disagree with this statement.  The Internet, specifically SMTP
in this case, was never fully intended (nor designed) for direct
end-to-end email delivery.  It was designed, again speaking about SMTP,
for reliability and scalability with end users using their upstream
mailserver(s) for communications.

Network routing protocols adhere to this same principal.  Just like, you
must rely on your upstream provider's gateway to handle packets, you
should rely on your uptsream provider's email server to deliver your
email.

-Jim P.