RE: Why not just use S/MIME or GPG signatures?

2003-10-09 09:17:39
If you currently use DSL and/or Cablemodem you may notice soon that many
places won't accept mail directly from you anyway.  This personally
happened to me a few months ago.  I ran my own outbound mail server on
my local network at home, and pulled my inbound mail from various
sources.  It has worked great for years (as the Internet was intended to
be used, I'll agree) until Yahoo started rejecting my mail to it's
recipients because it came from a "consumer service" address (I use
Comcast cable broadband service, formerly AT&T).  Then RoadRunner
started doing it.  Of course I emailed, called, and complained about
this, to no avail.  I can only assume that others will follow suit.  I'm
currently sending mail outbound through one of my inbound servers at a
co-location facility, just to guarantee that my mail will get delivered.
At least with a method like SPF I will be able to define via DNS which
servers are allowed to send mail for my domains, which keeps me in
control, assuming that I actually do control the domains that I'm
sending mail as.

I agree with you in your ideals, however I fear that the Internet will
grow beyond what it was originally meant to do, as it already has in
some respects.  Compound this with companies like Yahoo and Roadrunner
who are already making these decisions that directly effect the methods,
and perhaps it's time to update the methods that the Internet utilizes
in order to address the problems that are surfacing due to the growth.

---
Dustin D. Trammell
Vulnerability Remediation Alchemist
Citadel Security Software, Inc.