Re: Throwaway domains

2003-10-09 08:22:43

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Erik Corry wrote:

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 09:15:56AM -0400, Mark Jeftovic wrote:

Personally I think throw-away domains are out-of-scope. Spf/rmx type
solutions solve one aspect of the spam problem: forged headers, joe
jobs, etc.

I was sort of hoping SPF could be used to help prevent spam
too. :-)

It will. By solving the forged header problem extremely large amounts
of spam will never make it through spf enabled MTA's from spf enabled
domains.

The essential feature of SPF is that it allows us to tie
an email to some identity that takes responsibility for its
spam-freeness.  It's vital that it's not too simple to create
new identities, otherwise we haven't achieved much.

As I understand it, spf basically enables domain holders to be responsible
for their own domains by eliminating the ability for other people to
do so (by sending out spam with my domain name in the "from" header).

Spf will not prevent anyone from sending spam out from domains they
control, that's out-of-scope for spf/rmx. It solves one specific
problem but believe me, that's one big problem and I'm happy to see
something sensible come along to solve it.

Example: If Hotmail, Yahoo, Msn and Aol started using spf/rmx we could
easily eliminate about a half million spam messages per day from
traversing our mail forwarders.

-mark

--
Mark Jeftovic <markjr(_at_)easydns(_dot_)com>
Co-founder, easyDNS Technologies Inc.