Re: Throwaway domains

2003-10-10 20:02:56
In <20031009155709(_dot_)GA23047(_at_)jasmer(_dot_)com> Bryce Jasmer
<bryce(_at_)jasmer(_dot_)com> writes:

<devils-advocate>
Yes, but that would only last for a month or two. Don't forget that
the spammers are quick to adapt to our solutions. We'll just be
pushing them to forge amazon.com, cnn.com, ebay.com until they
realize it is a problem. And then they'll forge momandpop.com. When
that stops working, they'll move onto other methods of getting their
message out.
</devils-advocate>

Yes, but by the time spammers are forced to move to
obscure-momnpop.com, many MTA's will be rejecting email from any
domain that doesn't publish SPF (RMX/etc.) information.  This will
cause a very rapid adoption of the system at that point.

Then, the spammers will either go to their own domains, which
has problems, or go to domains that publish SPF *.domain "SPF=allow".
The latter will cause those domains to reconsider allowing anyone to
send email using their name.

SPF will box in the spammers/email-worm authors.

-wayne