greylisting

2003-10-09 09:48:32
On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 06:40:12PM +0200, David Saez wrote:

| > One aspect of spam noted by a friend of mine in the computer security
| > business is that many spam programs don't re-try if they get a soft
| > error the first time.
|
| we tried greylisting for some time, the problem is that there are lots
| of legal mta's out of there that alkso don't retry.

"Legitimate", yes.  "Legal", not acccording to RFC2821 :)

Yes, they need to be whitelisted by hand, which is a pain.

Yahoo Groups is an example of a non-retryer.

Yahoo in general seems to have trouble with mail: I turned on sender
address verification for a while and it worked great.  Then I
saw Yahoo happily accepting forged, bogus recipients, like
3q5yreag(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com(_dot_)  That was disappointing.

If you're interested in sender address verification, I believe Exim and
Postfix support it.