Re: DNS RRtypes: changing PI

2003-10-18 20:31:10
On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 03:44:17PM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

| 2) the PI lookup zone.
|
|    If the domain defines the PI mechanism, and if the IP is 1.2.3.4,
|    we would perform the query 4.3.2.1.in-addr._smtp_client.DOMAIN
|
| 2) If we get rid of the subdomain, how do we design reversed-IP lookups?
|
|    4.3.2.1.DOMAIN?  But maybe that space is already populated.
|    Underscore labels are nice; they're like secret dimensions.
|
|    Besides, even if we get a new RR type, that doesn't make the problem
|    go away.

We have an alternative that makes underscore subdomains go away, at the
cost of introducing other problems.

  Under the current design we do an A query for
  1.2.0.192.in-addr._smtp_client.example.com.

Robert has suggested this:

  Instead, add a TXT record alongside the PTR record for
  1.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa; it would contain "v=spf1 pi=example.com"

That makes the underscore labels go away.

Under this proposed scheme, even if the PTR record for
1.2.0.192.in-addr.arpa were mx.example.org, a directive "pi:example.com"
would look up the TXT record, find "pi=example.com", and match.

There are pros and cons either way.

If people really feel strongly about not using an _smtp_client
subdomain, this is one alternative.  What do people feel about this?