RE: TXT Records

2003-11-21 07:20:15
I think we can divide domain holders into two categories here:

(1) Those that are mainly here for web publising. These will often have
low
technical literacy and cheap infrastructure as you point out.
(2) Those who do only non-web stuff. Very rare and will certainly will
have
good technical skills and equipment - enough to run a custom DNS server
for
example.

Let's assume group (2) can handle anything we throw at them.

I think that your example is a little overly simplistic.  I have 9 years of
internet experience, including runing routers, email servers, web servers,
etc, and have a fairly large network of associates.  I would say that few of
them fit into those categories, and I definitely do not.  I, for example,
run my own email server on site, my own colocated web server, and a small
development team.  The constrainsts put on me are such that I cannot afford
$25 per domain per year for DNS, and I prefer NOT to run my own DNS servers.
And why should I when my registrar of choice provides me with DNS for FREE
with 5 geographically disperse servers?  They have provided excellent
service.  The only thing that they do not do is to allow me to use TXT
records.  If my internet connection were to go down for some reason (which
has happened), then all that I have to do is find another internet
connection and I can redirect my web site and email to another provider in a
matter of a couple of hours.  Nameserver records are cached for two days, so
if I ran my own server, I would be down for significantly longer.

Someone on the list told me that GoDaddy.com provides free DNS, but does not
support TXT records.  As of seven months ago, GoDaddy had nearly 1.5 million
domains registered through them, which was over 6.5% of all domain names.
I'm not saying that all of their customers use their free DNS service, but I
bet it's not zero either.  And that's only one provider of free DNS service.
All I'm saying is that I believe that there are a LOT of people that fit
into this category.

Marc

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.6.txt