Re: Pure ESMTP alternative

2003-11-24 00:52:00

I like all the ideas going this direction and would love to hear more
about them. For the past few months I've been trying to dream up a "giant
grey 'web' of trust" that could be used by mailservers to check the
validity of incoming connections. My thoughts eventually came around to a
decentralized gnutella-style client to be run by SMTP server admins (or to
be run by friends/providers on their behalf). I have no code and no more
detail than I just provided so don't ask.

I have one more radical idea I'd like to submit tho: Lets apply for a new
port number for server-to-server transmissions. I forget why I thought
this was important but the notion ranked high when I was brainstorming. It
may have been about adoption-cycle, in that general users would continue
to use the old (current) smtp forever and eventually as servers became
compliant to whatever new system was devised they would end up talking to
each other over this new port. Or it could have been about something else
entirely. Maybe one of you smarter folk can think up an even better reason
for a new port.

-Frank