Re: A Question about the pobox.com wizard

2003-12-14 10:56:35

I ran through the http://spf.pobox.com/wizard.html yesterday.
Things went well enough.  But then it said something interesting
about my DNS setup:

    jdl.com has 4 MX servers that receive mail for jdl.com.
    Do they also send mail from jdl.com?

Hmmn - methinks perhaps something wacky this way worketh.

I get the same result (4 mx servers) for my domain, and
I only have two:

$ host -x mx ifokr.org

ifokr.org mail is handled by 10 mail.ifokr.org.
ifokr.org mail is handled by 15 mail2.ifokr.org.

Ahh, but perhaps it's expanding them because they do not
have consistant forward and reverse:

$ host mail.ifokr.org
mail.ifokr.org has address 216.162.217.155

$ host 216.162.217.155
155.217.162.216.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer puddle155.drizzle.com.

Since I'm on an ISP DSL, and don't have the ability to change the
PTR records to point to me explicitly, it may look like two hosts.

So, that begs the question: when it suggests the records

  'mail.ifokr.org:v=spf1 a -all:3600
  'puddle155.drizzle.com:v=spf1 a -all:3600

I don't actually control drizzle.com (it's my ISP) so I can't
make that second change for my MX.  Regardless, should I need
it?  Or for that matter, why are we supposed to list the MX
hosts separately?  If I intend to only mail out using @ifokr.org,
are they necessary?

--
Brian Hatch                  "Zathras warned,
   Systems and                but no one listen

Every message PGP signed

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.3.txt
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname(_at_)½§Åv¼ð¦¾Øß´ëù1Ií-»Fqx(_dot_)com