Re: A Question about the pobox.com wizard

2003-12-15 23:26:32

So, that begs the question: when it suggests the records

  'mail.ifokr.org:v=spf1 a -all:3600
  'puddle155.drizzle.com:v=spf1 a -all:3600

If either machine bounces a message the MAIL FROM: will be the null sender:
'<>'.

Obviously we can't do an spf lookup on that, so spf falls back onto the smtp
HELO string, which would be "mail.ifokr.org" or "puddle155.drizzle.com".

To stop spammers pretending everything they send is a bounce these hostnames
need spf records too, the "v=spf1 a -all" just says 'any A record from
"mail.ifokr.org" is allowed to claim to be "mail.ifokr.org" in any email
they send'.

And voila, all my questions about SPF are answered.  I'm digging it.

--
Brian Hatch                  What do you call a firewall
   Systems and                that proxies HTTP, SMTP,

Every message PGP signed

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname(_at_)½§Åv¼ð¦¾Øß´ëù1Ií-»Fqx(_dot_)com